10 Indoor Plants That Are Toxic To Dogs

Any pet owner knows that sometimes, dogs have a habit of eating strange things. If it falls on the floor, Topher’s going to try and eat it: crumbs, dirt, leaves, anything. Many a dog will try at least a chew of something, even the stray houseplant. Plants can be a tempting diversion from your dog’s food bowl, and one that can end with some serious repercussions for their health.

To prevent poisoning your dog by cut flowers or from house plants, you should avoid buying ones that are known to be toxic. Alternatively, you should avoid placing any plants in your home where your pets may be able to reach them.

Here is a short list of some common indoor plants that are toxic to dogs. If you have some of these in your home, never fear! Just make sure your pet isn’t developing an interest in the greenery, and make sure they’re kept out of reach.

Aloe Plant — The aloe plant is a common succulent found in homes, but it’s toxic to both dogs and cats. The toxic agent in this plant is aloin, the yellow substance that can be found by cutting or cracking open one of the leaves. If ingested, aloe plants may cause vomiting, reddish urine, or both.

Baby’s Breath — A common filler in floral arrangements and bouquets, baby’s breath is mildly toxic and can do some damage to your dog’s digestion when eaten. Symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea.

Chrysanthemum — Chrysanthemums come in a variety of sizes and colors, and are a popular spring plant indoors and out. Ingesting these flowers are likely not fatal to your pets, but can cause a lot of discomfort. In some cases, loss of coordination can develop if enough of the plant is eaten. Other symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, dermatitis.

Heartleaf Philodendron — Heartleaf philodendron (also known as horsehead philodendron, cordatum, fiddle leaf, panda plant, split-leaf philodendron, fruit salad plant, red emerald, red princess or saddle leaf) is an easy-to-grow houseplant that is toxic to dogs and cats. It contains a chemical that can irritate the mouth, tongue, and lips of animals. An affected pet may also experience increased salivation, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

Hosta — Hostas are a super popular shade-loving plant. Usually found outdoors, they are also sold among the potted plants too. Make sure your pets don’t have a taste for them, as hostas are toxic to both dogs and cats. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, and depression.

Jade Plant — Jade plants are also toxic to both cats and dogs. The toxic property in this plant is still unknown, but ingestion can cause vomiting, depression, loss of coordination, and bradycardia (slow heart rate—this is very rare).

Lilies — Many plants of the lily family are toxic to cats, and some are toxic to dogs. The peace lily is toxic to both dogs and cats. Ingestion of the peace lily or calla lily can cause irritation of the tongue and lips, increased salivation, difficulty swallowing and vomiting.

Satin Pothos — Satin pothos (also known as silk pothos) is toxic to dogs and cats. Like the lily, if ingested, the plant may irritate the mouth, lips and tongue. Your dog may also experience increased salivation, vomiting, and/or difficulty swallowing.

Snake Plant — The snake plant is  great for those who have a habit of killing off indoor plants. However, it is also mildly toxic to dogs. Chewing or ingestion can result in vomiting and diarrhea, so keep it somewhere out of reach.

Tulips — It’s the bulb of the tulip plant that has the highest concentration of toxins. This means if you are forcing bulbs indoors, make sure they they are out of reach.When we have tulips in the house, we make sure they’re out of reach whenever we’re not directly supervising our animals, as this flower can cause serious symptoms, including intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions, and cardiac abnormalities.


This list isn’t comprehensive, no list is, but it covers the most common plants your dog might find indoors. Find a full list of toxic plants on the ASPCA’s website.

The dose of the plant makes the poison. Many poisonous plants don’t kill, they just make your dog sick, so if your dog is experiencing serious symptoms, it’s likely that they’ve ingested a substantial amount. The ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center (888 426-4435) or the Pet Poison Helpline (800 213-6680) can help you figure out what next steps should be taken.

For Animal Poison Control (or your vet) to help, they have to know what plant, exactly, your dog ate. A tall plant with green and yellow leaves isn’t a good answer. If you have pets, know your houseplants by both common and botanical names, which usually come on a tag with the plant. Keep that info where you can find it.

And if there’s a plant you love that’s poisonous to your pet, perhaps consider investing in a silk and plastic copy. It also has the added benefit of never dying.

Lucy Bennett

Lucy is a writer, artist, and Hufflepuff currently living in Atlanta, Ga. When not making things, she enjoys costuming, tabletop games, and digging in the dirt.


1 Comment

  • Joseph

    I don’t know much about gardening, but maybe if a plant neeedd a more acidic soil, wine might help with that. But I would just stick to the normal watering/plant food that you can get a garden store. I’m sure the sugars in some wines could cause some other side effect that might not be positive.

    February 21, 2016 at 6:21 AM

Leave a Comment