DIY: Make A Dog Bath Towel With Pockets!
Whenever I start thinking about making something new for Topher, it’s usually because there’s some need I’m looking to fill. Spring and summer always bring a lot of thunderstorms for us, which means more puddles and mud for Topher to get in during our walks, which means more quick rinses with the hose, or full baths on the weekends.
Towel drying Topher isn’t especially difficult, since he’s a short haired dog, but our bath towels always end up half on the floor by the end of the drying process, where they sop up extra water and the dirt that just got rinsed off Topher. It’s annoying! There are some good dog bath towels on the market, but I was pretty sure I could make my own out of one of our current “dog towels” for free. And I don’t know about you, but I love just about anything I can create for free!
If you can sew a straight line, you can DIY this towel. Plus, this dog bath towel has pockets, which makes drying off your dog basically a million times easier.
- 1 bath towel
- Sewing Machine
1. Fold your towel in half, with whatever side you want to be your finished side facing inwards.
2. Cut off the ends of your towel. I wanted a towel that wouldn’t hang too much farther below Topher’s chest when draped over him, so I cut off about 9 ½ inches off each side.
3. You can choose to keep the ends of your towel square, or round them like I did by cutting the ends into a half circle shape. Keep your towel folded while cutting so the edges will match.
4. Unfold your towel, and grab two of the ends you cut off your towel. These will become your pockets.
5. Cut two half circles in the same shape as each end of your towel.
6. With the towel still unfolded and laying flat, pin each half circle shape to the main towel piece. Then, fold your towel in half again so your pocket pieces become the middle layer of your three layers.
7. Sew your three layers together, keeping at least four to six inches open so you can turn your towel right side out. Make sure to backstitch the beginning and end of your seam!
8. Turn your towel right side out, then hand sew your opening closed.
And there you have it. One dog bath towel, with pockets! Topher says it’s also ideal for covering his head when surprise rainstorms interrupt our photo-taking.